Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 Palette - Review & Monolid Tutorial









Introducing the Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 Palette, the little sister to the Naked Basics 1, and the baby to the three Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know that this palette has been out for a while now, but I have only now gotten my hands on it since I couldn't really justify having to pay Australian prices for another small neutral palette.

To be honest, I wasn't sure whether or not to call this warm or cool palette. In some lights - like in the above photo - the colours look quite warm, but when I put the colour on my eyes, it looks cool-toned. I have yet to find an explanation as to why that is, but I thought it would be important to mention. Either way, I do like the colours that Urban Decay have decided to include in this palette.


Left to right: Skimp, Stark, Frisk, Cover, Primal, Undone

Just like other Urban Decay eyeshadows, all six of these are super buttery and smooth. Swatching these were a dream because of easily I could rub some on my finger and swipe it across my arm. This translates well when applying them to your lid as well, so they are easy to build up pigment as well as blending out.

Skimp is a pale nude (almost yellow) colour that is unfortunately too light to be used as a base colour for me, but I find it works well as an inner corner highlight if packed on enough. Stark is definitely a better base colour for me as it's the closest to my skin tone. You can see in the above photo that it almost disappears into my skin. If I had to pick my least favourite colour of the palette, it would have to be Frisk. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, I just find that I never reach for it. It's a good in-between shade if you want something darker than Stark, but light than Cover, but I never find I need anything like that.

Cover is a pretty hot chocolate colour that I like to use as the primary colour for all my eyeshadow looks when I use this palette. Primal is a neutral brown colour that is great for layering on top of Cover to create a smokey effect. To finish off the palette, Undone, is the perfect colour to really deepen looks and take them from night to day. It's also great as a liner if you're not in the mood for the crispness of a liquid or gel liner.

You can see how I used this palette to create an everyday look on my monolids below.



First, I applied an eyeshadow primer and then put Stark all over my eyelids as my base. I then packed on Cover up to where my crease should be (shoutout to all my fellow monolidders!), concentrating the colour in the middle of my eyelid.



Next, I used Stark again to blend out the colour, and picked up Primal with a pencil brush to my outer corners, winging out the shadow a little. I did this both to the top and bottom of my eye lids. If you're after more intensity, I would recommend using Undone on a smaller pencil brush and deepening the colour at the corners closest to your eyeball, and as a result smoking out Primal.



This is my eye after curling my lashes, and applying mascara and eyeliner.



This is what it looks like on my full face. It's not a very dramatic look compared to the one I did for the Lorac Pro Matte Palette, but it's a fantastic look if you just want to enhance your monolids if you find that they're looking quite 2-dimensional, which is something I struggle with a lot.

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment